- Part time/60.8 hours per fortnight (0.8FTE/8 days per fortnight)
- Annual salary (SCHCADS Level 5 dependent on qualifications and experience), plus 9.5% Employer superannuation, generous salary packaging options available
- Location: Hastings Vic (20Kms from Frankston)
Bunjilwarra is a partnership between the Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (VAHS) and the Youth Support + Advocacy Service (YSAS). Bunjilwarra (Koori Youth & Drug Healing Service) is a 12 bed youth residential Alcohol & Other Drug (AOD) treatment program located in Hastings on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula. Bunjilwarra acknowledges the importance of culture and (re)connection to culture/community by ensuring the Aboriginal meaning of healing is the foundation of the program.
About the role
The Program Coordinator plays an integral role in the development and delivery of the Bunjilwarra program. The Program Coordinator is responsible for the development, implementation, facilitation and continuous review of programs and activities within the Bunjilwarra program model. The Program Coordinator ensures that the content delivered is of a high quality, evidence based, and appropriate for the young people who attend Bunjilwarra. The Program Coordinator will oversee and coordinate the daily running of the program, including appointments and visits.
Along with oversight of the structured program, the Program Coordinator provides guidance and leadership in maintaining the therapeutic milieu of the Bunjilwarra program. The Program Coordinator looks for opportunities for residents to learn and grow through the informal interactions during the day. The Program Coordinator has a solid understanding of Therapeutic Community principles and practises and is able to intentionally use this framework to assist the personal development of the residents within a group living environment. The Program Coordinator also works closely with the Clinical Lead and Keyworkers in supporting each resident with their Individual Treatment Plan.
The Program Coordinator occupies a leadership role at Bunjilwarra and is responsible for contributing to the development and support of a high performing team. This may involve supervision of staff members, including seeking out appropriate training opportunities for staff. The Program Coordinator also co-facilitates (with Clinical Lead) Client Case Reviews and Group Supervision, and supports the Clinical Lead and the Bunjilwarra Leadership Group in developing and facilitating team workshops and planning days.
To be successful in this position, you will need to have natural leadership qualities and meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Aboriginal history and culture, and community as well as an ability to work effectively in a culturally safe manner.
- Highly developed engagement skills, problem solving and clinical capabilities to ensure all residents participate in and benefit from the Bunjilwarra environment.
- Ability to provide leadership and support to a multi-disciplinary team to ensure quality service provision (within a residential treatment setting) for young people experiencing health and wellbeing issues associated with problematic alcohol and drug taking.
- Demonstrated ability to manage the day to day operations of a residential rehabilitation unit, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation such as OHS, Privacy, Statutory requirements and organisational policies.
- Ability to maintain positive stakeholder relationships and work collaboratively with all stakeholders i.e. young people, families and carers, referring services, government agencies, Aboriginal community services etc.
- Experience in designing and facilitating groups for young people, and ability and willingness to participate in cultural, recreational and other activities with young people.
- Demonstrate high level of interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal), problem solving and negotiation skills especially with young Aboriginal people and their families.
For full details of the position please view the POSITION DESCRIPTION on our website www.ysas.org.au.
How to apply for this job
To support your application you must provide a covering letter addressing the Key Selection Criteria found in the position description and a current Resume.
Applications close: 9am on Friday, 22nd December 2017 and should be addressed to: email@example.com using the subject line: Bunjilwarra Program Coordinator application.
Interviews will be scheduled for a time to be confirmed in the week commencing January 2nd 2018. Shortlisted applicants will be notified in advance.
For a confidential discussion about the position, please contact Peter Dawson (Clinical Lead, Bunjilwarra) on 0417 423 053.
The successful candidate must be willing to attain a Working with Children Check & National Police check prior to commencement.
Please note - We can only accept applications from Australian citizens and permanent residents.
All Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people are encouraged to apply.
- YSAS is an equal opportunity employer.
- YSAS has a zero tolerance for child abuse and is committed to the provision of a child-safe organisation.
Due to the predicted volume of applications, please note you will only be contacted if you are successful in progressing to a first round interview.