Rug Rats, based in Fitzroy, is designed for young parents and expectant parents aged 12 to 25 years who are experiencing problems with alcohol and/or other drugs. Rug Rats operates in partnership with Good Shepherd Youth and Family Service.
The Rug Rats program adopts a holistic approach and aims to:
- support parents to maintain the care of their children
- provide education and support to parents with substance use problems
- prevent or minimise the need for protective involvement of the Department of Human Services and, in particular, the need for substitute care or statutory order
- help parents build on and develop connections to family and community supports
- empower parents to make informed decisions about their lives
- provide a flexible service that responds to the unique needs of each client
- provide information, advocacy and referral to parents and families to improve their access to community resources and opportunities for education, training and employment
- help parents and families to access personal development and recreation activities to enhance their feeling of self worth and connection to the community.
Through Wilum Supported Accommodation Program
Tel: (03) 9419 6288