The YSAS Health Service provides a range of medical and health services through GP sessions, primary health nurses and the Enhanced Mental Health Nurse Program.
GPs provide comprehensive health assessments, assist in the development of mental health care plans and deliver the full range of primary health medical services to the young people who access YSAS services. They also conduct alcohol and other drug assessments and supervise withdrawal in YSAS intensive residential units and home based withdrawal programs.
Primary Health Nurses attend to young people’s physical health problems, including alcohol and other drug withdrawal, sexual and reproductive health, blood-borne virus screening, and physical and mental health. They work with both youth alcohol and other drug workers and GPs to ensure that a comprehensive program of primary health care is delivered. In particular they attend to follow-up and monitoring of pathology screening, prescribed medication, immunisation, and care plans. With other staff they provide a continuum of care that focuses on the young person’s needs as they change over time.
Where required, the Enhanced Mental Health Nurse Program assists the GPs and youth alcohol and other drug workers to establish mental health care plans. They then monitor and review each situation to ensure that the young person achieves the desired benefits. This is particularly important if the provision of prescribed medication for a range of psychological and mental health disorders is to be of optimal clinical benefit to the young person.
The YSAS Health Service spans:
- Gerneral clinics at various YSAS locations
- Primary Health / Home Based Withdrawal Nurses (at Dandenong, Box Hill, City North West and Bendigo)
- Residential Withdrawal / Primary Health Nurses
- Enhanced Mental Health Nurse Program.
Referrals to YSAS Health Service can be made by:
- individual young people or family members
- through YSAS Community Programs
- community alcohol and other drug services, GPs, primary and mental health services, youth justice and homelessness services.