As a leading state-wide youth health agency specialising in substance use treatment, support and early intervention, YSAS assists vulnerable young Victorians to build on their strengths and access the resources they need to deal with multiple and complex problems.
YSAS specialises in offering treatment, support and early intervention for vulnerable young Victorians struggling with substance dependence. As a leading, state-wide youth health agency, YSAS assists young people in developing their strengths, and offers access to resources needed to deal with the multifarious and complex problems that stem from substance dependence.
We understand that 10-25-year-olds, rarely identify as ‘vulnerable’, even if they’re among the most marginalised, under-serviced and high-risk young people in our community. The prevalence of substance use among YSAS clients is extraordinarily high when compared to usage rates of typical young people. Download the YSAS client snapshot here to learn more.
YSAS’ clients deal with a complex set of concerns related to disconnection from family and community, abuse and neglect, significant grief and loss, homelessness, mental illness, criminal behaviour and exclusion or absence from school. This all-too-commonly translates into few prospects for education, employment and social participation, and can result in deep psychological distress.
We see young people in the light of the strengths they offer and the rights they have to accessible, reliable, holistic and individualised care. YSAS tailors support to a young person’s stage of change. Support is persistent, respectful and developmentally appropriate. We provide ready access to a continuum of care that enables disadvantaged young people to better their health and wellbeing. These changes generate benefits that flow into the wider community.
In 2011/12 YSAS:
- Enabled 3675 highly vulnerable and high-risk young people with substance dependence issues, mental illness and social disconnection, or those at risk of becoming so, to take control of their health and wellbeing
- Provided 3495 completed episodes of care (in our drug and alcohol treatment services) to 1338 highly vulnerable and high-risk young people, 62% of whom were substance dependent
- Enabled 56% of young people accessing YSAS alcohol and drug services to cease, or significantly reduce, their substance use
- Opened headspace Collingwood centre
- Implemented a comprehensive Clinical Governance Framework